How many mornings do you race out the front door with a hot coffee in hand and an empty stomach? If you’re unhappy with your weight, you might want to consider what you’re eating (or not eating) in the morning. Eating a healthy breakfast might just turn out to be one of the most important parts of your weight loss plan and your entire day!
When you’re trying to lose weight, an important step to start with is reducing your daily caloric intake. For many of us, it seems like the best time to cut out these calories is in the morning - after all, you can barely get your head on straight enough to make sure your shoes match and you can find your car keys, let alone trying to find something to eat . But if you want to achieve your weight loss goals you need to get something in your body in the morning. Eating breakfast has a ton of benefits including:
- Providing you with the energy you need for your busy day
- Stabilizing your blood sugar levels throughout the day
- Helping you stave off cravings later in the day. Starting your day with breakfast is starting your day on the right foot - you’ll be less likely to give in to that midmorning donut.
- Breakfast food is yummy - why skip it?
Saying you don’t have time for breakfast, may seem like a valid excuse - but now that you know the benefits of starting your day properly, it’s time to find a few minutes for breakfast. Here are some quick and easy low-cal breakfast options:
- Microwave some egg whites in a bowl, add some spinach and low-fat cheese for a quick omelet (If you don’t have time to eat this at home, you can bring it to work and nuke it up there)
- 1 cup of low-fat cottage cheese and cut-up fruit
- Whole grain cereal with skim milk and a small low-fat yogurt
- Steel-cut oats with skim milk and strawberries
Your breakfast should be a balanced meal that includes a combination of protein, carbs and fat. Don’t skimp on your first meal, or you’ll be setting up the rest of your day - and your weight loss plan - for failure.