These quick and effective weight loss tips can help you tip the scale in your favor in no time:
- Go green - enjoy coffee or tea? Why don’t you switch your usual morning wake-up for a refreshing cup of green tea? Recent research has shown that green tea can help increase your metabolism and could help you burn an extra 78 calories a day. It tastes delicious and is an easy addition to your day.
- “Got Milk?” - recent research suggests that including calcium in your diet can help control your weight by encouraging your body to use fat more efficiently. So drink up! (But make sure to consume the low-fat or skim kind.)
Advertiser Links for 10 Weight Loss Tips [what's this?]
- Fiber up - fiber is well-known for keeping you regular, but it can also help you feel full longer and satisfy your cravings. Fiber can’t be digested and is also very low in calories; you can add it to your meal without drastically affecting your daily caloric intake.
- Increase your protein intake - try to include a source of lean protein at every meal. It will help you feel full longer and satisfy your cravings. Low-fat cottage cheese, extra lean meats, chicken breast, and egg whites are all excellent options.
- Slow down - eat slowly and savor every last morsel of your food. Your brain takes about 20 minutes to register that your body has been fed, so give yourself some time to digest your meals by s-l-o-w-i-n-g down. Eating at a more relaxed pace will prevent you from overeating, and give you more opportunity to enjoy the food you’re consuming.
- Keep track - by writing in a food diary. You can use an online one or simply write what you eat each day in a journal. A diary helps you keep track of everything you eat, and might help to identify ‘trigger times’ where you are more susceptible to giving in to a binge. Don’t lie or omit any foods, as the journal is for you and you only. You’ll only be cheating yourself if you’re not completely honest.
- Portion distortion - you’ve heard it over and over, but if you’re trying to lose weight it’s really important to watch your portion sizes. Calories do add up, so make sure you’re consuming a portion equal to one serving size. If you’re going to follow any weight loss tip, this is the one!
- Kick the soda habit - juice and sodas contain a ton of empty calories that provide very few necessary nutrients to your body. If you’re thirsty, have a glass of water or unsweetened iced tea.
- Start your day on the right foot - numerous studies have shown that those who start their day with breakfast are less likely to binge later on in the day. Skipping breakfast may seem like a great way to skip some calories, but you’ll find that you’ll most likely consume more calories later on to make up for what you missed.
- Choose diet foods carefully - just because the label says ‘diet’ doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Diet foods are sometimes higher in sugar or calories to make up for the missing ingredients in the regular version. They also leave you feeling deprived and may cause a binge later on. If you’re really craving that cookie, have a small bite and move on - sometimes diet foods can cause more harm than good.